Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Time of Our Lives in Paris; Making Love, Seeing Louvre, and Getting hammered below the Eiffel Tower



It's not too often you get the chance to meet up with your girlfriend in Paris, while being apart from each other for months.

So where I left off was my blog post Searching for Love in Paris; I was nervous for what would happen. Would the spark come back between us? Would we pick up as things had always been?


Well, when I arrived in Paris, I went right to the hostel where Mrittika was waiting. She was right in the lobby - waiting for me with open arms. It was a wonderful reunion. I just held her, and that was all. It was so nice.

We only had two days there, and we hit the ground running.


Our first stop? You know where.
(That's us, in case you were wondering)


Our next stop was the Notre Dame Cathedral, as seen here in the background
There was a picture with Mrittika in a less-awkward pose, but I thought it would be more entertaining to include this one :)



How cool was this?! Holding bread and having birds flock all over me! Awesome.


I don't mean to include all awkward pictures, but hey, they are funnier to look back on


The Beauty of the Louvre


This sculpture just moves me. Its the Winged Victory, or commonly known as - Nike.

I love going to a place like the Louvre because if you pay attention, you can get a glimpse into the world of appreciating art that you would have never experienced otherwise.



 A New Perspective of Learning to Love New Things:




I find that in order to learn to truly appreciate something new, you have to have someone who loves it explain it to you. Im not sure what it is, but that act is what brings something alive. 

“I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
After that I liked jazz music.
Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way." -Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz



Whether it be a book, movie, painting, musical instrument, or a sport that I thought was boring, when I hear someone explain it to me in a new, vibrant way, I am captivated. The same was I was captivated when you read information about what I read when I saw the above statue:

The statue above of Nike was made in 190 B.C. and it represents her as she descends from the skies to a triumphant fleet after a naval battle. Before the statue lost its arms, which have never been recovered, her right arm was raised and cupped around her mouth read to deliver a great shout of victory. The work is notable for its convincing rendering of a pose where violent motion and sudden stillness meet, for its graceful balance and flowing draped garments, which the Greek considered ideal beauty.


This is of  Cupid reviving Psyche with a kiss. Its beautiful. To appreciate this artistically, listen to this;
The two arms extending upward from Psyche, and Cupid's arms around Psyche create a central focal point, where in the middle, you can catch the passion in their movement. What is created is the moment just before a kiss. And a kiss symbolizes revitalization, or a re-awakening and that's exactly what Cupid is doing here to the lifeless Psyche. 



Drinking Wine at Night under the Eiffel Tower 


You would think this is what would be the most romantic part. 

Nope, we just got really fucked up when the wine bottles were all dried up. Oopsies!

It was a wonderful moment though - all of us bought wine from a store as we were talking to the Eiffel Tower,and we all wanted to go out and clubbing afterward, so we decided to pound it fast. We ended up staying for 30-45 min or so, but we got hammered quick. One girl threw up endlessly later. But hey.. ya gotta be able to hang with the big boys.


Mrit and I before opening up the bottles.

Every hour on the hour from 9pm-1am the tower sparkles in incredibly mesmerizing fashion.



This is how the pictures turned when everyone started getting tanked:







The pics only get more absurd and blurry than this, so I'll stop here.


It was a wonderful reuniting with my girlfriend, and a memorable time in Paris. Next up, Rome in 2 days!




No comments:

Post a Comment