Saturday, August 20, 2011

After graduation, the next step




Playing catch-up:
After graduation, I started working for the Middle Eastern Partnership Initiative program, which was an amazing experience where I met a lot of wonderful people. The day after that ended, I visited a girl I was dating who was out at San Francisco at the time, Mrittika. We had a fantastic time with each other, and it was truly a one-time opportunity with each other given the stages of life we are in. On kind of another note, but not really - I am currently trying to decide how much of my love life to disclose on this site. I happen to think I have an interesting and very fun, spontaneous, and cute (do I sound like a girl or what?) love life and for some reason I feel like if I write no holds barred, then this site would become absurdly followed. That sounds cool and all, but... yeah, its currently up for debate how much I am going to write about that.

After coming back to Delaware, I stayed with my grandmother, which was great to get some homecooking and not worry about paying for rent or whatnot. I spent a lot of time with my friend Rachel, and besides that, just read a lot and applied for jobs.
I continue to keep in mind the quote, "If you arent failing regularly, you just arent trying hard enough."
 In two weeks, time and money went quick, until my flight into the next stage of my life life.
my MEPIs! <3

my Mrittika! Haha - us on the beach in Cali

Two days ago I arrived in Germany. During that flight I realized that I was stepping into new territory in life. The flight actually had a much broader significance than just a vacation, its where I will figure out where to go next year. I am a big believer that what most truly fulfills you are those things that you make a decision to pursue because of a "gut feeling." I think a long time ago someone got the term wrong, because I know that those feelings dont come from your gut, they come from your heart, and thats your body telling you and something is stirring inside, and to get off the sidelines and get out on the field, and pursue what you love.
It's here that I will continue to pursue new possibilities in life; an idea that has motivated and confused me for the past few weeks in particular. I have many ambitions, but its tough to tell where to take them. I decided in order to figure it out, I would ask advice from others in fields I am interested in. Ive asked around to people in policy and federal level positions, but just in the last two days I came to realize I need to start in grassroots level campaigns. I need to get out there, follow my calling, and pursue what makes my mind thrive with imagination and come to life, and my heart literally yearn to make a difference. I have been reading Half The Sky, a book how to empower oppressed women in the world. It is through education. I will post another blog about the impact of that book later, but its made me realize that I need to get out there. I found out yesterday about a woman named Mukhtar who opened up a shelter in Pakistan for domestically and sexually abused women, and also started schools among other things. She will provide free accommodation and stay to volunteers who will come help. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest as I read about her. That kind of thing is my calling; so I emailed her. We will see what will come of it. Its not the fact that I will definitely end up at her shelter, its the calling I have come to realize and the direction I feel compelled to go. I have prayed a lot for direction lately, and this is how I am being led.

My time in Germany so far:
Two days ago when I arrived in Germany I was exhausted and excited to be here. I took a nap in the afternoon, went to dinner with a few of moms coworkers, then from dinner (where I met these guys Mike and Justin), we went out partying that night. We had a lot of good beer, a lot, the coolest of which is sixteen 8 oz beers that come on a "meter board" - aka as many beers that size that can fit on a one meter length board (innovative name, isnt it) then we went to a club and had an awesome time; in typical tom ford fashion. We walked out at 6 am, slept for 2 hours, then mom picked me up after Mike had made breakfast. I came back today, slept a lot, and read a bit. I feel this constant pressure, almost a stress, to continue to learn more, contact more people, plan for my future, and apply for more jobs. Its overwhelming, but no one gets anywhere without the lonely hours of hard work you sweat over when pursuing any great endeavor.
our first meter board

our crew at the bar - kayla, me, mike, and justin, all in the military whom my mom works with
this was the bar we were at, pounding brews away like it was our job. Actually, since I am technically unemployed right now, I will go ahead and say that is my job


this is what it looked like when I walked out of the club this morning. And that young lady was my dancing partner who I could not even speak with. It made for a hilariously fun time.


Today Mom and I decided we will leave for a trip through the countries of Luxemberg, Belgium, and the Netherlands on our way to the city of Amsterdam on Monday, and stay until Wednesday. Cant wait for it - I just love being over here. But its 3:15 AM right now, so Im gonna go take a sleeping pill so can get on a normal schedule. Not only is it a 6 hour difference, but I wisely decided to party the entire first night and sleep the whole second day. Good call, Chief. (yes, I just called myself chief.)

I will leave you with a quote I found that I really like. A matter of fact, I just put it as my facebook status:
"He turns not back who is bound to a star" - Leonardo Da Vinci.
I believe dreams and dedication are the most powerful combination a man can find


No comments:

Post a Comment